• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interview d'Andy Chambers en anglais

Canardwc

Messages recommandés

http://www.conclaveofhar.com/hobby-articles.html

La partie sur Warhammer 40k.

[quote][b]The Great Crusade:

What were your goals for Warhammer 40,000 once you became Overfiend and do you feel you accomplished them?[/b]

Fast forwarding many years to when I became Overfiend I can't say I had any real goals consciously held in mind. I wanted to expand the 40K game with new races and new force organisations to stop it getting boring. I wanted the game to play in a way that was dynamic and exciting without getting bogged down in boring stuff, and I wanted to run some really big global campaigns. I suppose you can call those goals. We managed to hit them pretty hard, Rogue Trader/2nd ed through to 3rd ed underwent a massive clean up thanks to Rick Priestley's efforts. I was horrified when he first demo'd the 3rd ed rules for me and Robin Dews who was studio manager at the time, but I came to really love them. we did more races and Codexes, we ran big campaigns.

[b]What were you most proud of? (within 40k) What was the thing you were least proud of and prehaps wish had been different?[/b]

I'm not sure if you're asking about the game or the universe here. The two are inextricably linked in my mind so I'll treat is as the latter. Most proud: Toss up between the first Armageddon campaign and doing the Battlefleet Gothic game. Adding whole chunks of background to the universe like that was great. Least proud: Titan Legions and Gorkamorka, both great concepts for games which should have worked great but my heart wasn't really in either of them so I feel I let them down.

[b]There is no denying that things were different back in those days it was a time of amazing growth and exploration with so many new games. Can you just give as an idea of what it was like working for GW at that time? Did it really seem like the sky was the limit?[/b]

Not really, not for me at least. You have to understand that early on I was twenty four year old drop out who hadn't even been to university. I was suddenly in a studio environment where I worked alongside folks like Rick Priestley, Jervis Johnson, Jes Goodwin, Richard Halliwell and Bill King every day. The sky was the limit for them, maybe, (actually I think not, that sobriquet can only really be applied to Bryan Ansell) - while I was the one doing White Dwarf articles and taking photos to support their efforts. I tried to come up with new and interesting stuff too, learn as much as possible and help out any way I could. It was certainly very interesting. By the time I achieved the lofty position of Overfiend the exploration phase was over, 40K had clearly won out over Space Marine, WFB and all the others.

[b]Given that the plastic tech these days means that practically anything is achieveable what is the one thing not possible 'back in the day' that you would have liked to have seen?[/b]

Big, variable configured kits like tanks, walkers and such in much the manner that GW are doing a lot these days. The few that were done back in the day were not great and we ended up hanging all kinds of metal bits off them to get variants. The other thing I used to wish for all the time was small models like Gretchin or Rippers in plastic. By their nature it was very hard to make them worthwhile in the game compared to their price in the shop as metal miniatures.

[b]I remember in an early-ish issue of WD a scenery piece made out of a old Star Wars toy, back in the day this kind of improvisation and creativity was a very big part of the hobby. Now not so much. Now it seems that everything is available to buy. Do you think this detracts somewhat from the hobby side of things and makes people lazy? Or is advancing tech making scenery construction redundant a good thing (i guess it does give us more time on our hordes of unpainted models!)[/b]

I don't think the availability of bits makes modelling redundant at all. Last month I was at Warlord Games open day and I was looking over the scenic basing materials on sale. A little part of me looked at the beautiful, tiny patches of rushes and thought 'well that just takes away the whole point doesn't it?' to which another part replied 'don't be so stupid, if people want to make their miniatures look amazing who are you to say no they can't?'. I do know what you mean, and part of me hankers after an earlier age where grav tanks were famously made out of plastic bottles but I think that's just nostalgia. The models I see these days are 1000% better than stuff from ten, twenty years ago.

[b]If you could pinpoint one event or release or moment in time where the 'change' started at GW what would you say it was? Would you have stopped it had you seen what would happen, Farseer Style ?[/b]

There wasn't some kind of moment of change that could be pinpointed in that way with GW. It's simply grown into a bigger business and that brings changes with it that are, I think, inevitable. I saw exactly the same process happening at Blizzard in the time I was there. It's an interesting thought experiment to try and imagine what GW would have become if Tom Kirby had never taken over from Bryan Ansell as that started the process of really expanding the business. I suspect the outcome would have been either GW would have gone out of business by now or it would have been bought up by a large product group like Hasbro. I suspect no one would like those outcomes either. I personally felt there was a big change when we moved into the HQ site at Lenton, but in retrospect that was more a symptom than a cause.

[b]Do you still stay in touch with all the 'old school' Adrian Wood, Ian Pickstone, Jervis, Richard Baker and Co? Who was your favourite opponent back then?[/b]

I'm friends with Adi Wood on Facebook and I see Jervis about once a year to play a game of something (usually something one of us has been developing). Jervis remains my absolute favourite opponent out of the people you listed, he's honestly the nicest guy you'll ever play a game with and a very, very good player. My all-time favourite enemy is Big Pete Haines though, to the extent that we've just started scheduling regular monthly battles again starting in October.[/quote] Modifié par Canardwc

Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.
  • Créer...

Information importante

By using this site, you agree to our Conditions d’utilisation.